Saturday, September 22, 2012

~Perspectives on Diversity and Culture~


 Durning the week, I contacted two friends and a family member. One friend is originally from Ghana, another is from Virginia and my family member (sister in law ) is from Cape Verde Island. After speaking with each of them, I learned several things. 

Friend from Ghana~ She defined culture as being everything that she and her family does on a daily basis. She went on and conversed about the food they eat, the clothes the wear and their religion. When I asked her to define diversity, she said that in her opinion, diversity was simple a collection of people's race, background, and ethnicity. 

Friend from Virginia ~ She defined culture as being a persons background. She identified culture and being a multitude of things that one is used to doing either with family and or friends. When I asked her to explain diversity, she said that it was hard for her to put into words but she feels as though diversity means the people and all their differences.

Friend from Cape Verde Island~ My sister in law first thought I was trying to be funny. She said that I should know what her culture was about because she explained it to us all of the time. I then asked her to share with me her definition of culture. She went on to say that culture is a dance, a song, and a way of living. Culture to her is a way of doing things which are passed down through generations. She said that diversity is everything that each person brings to society. Its ones very on identity and uniqueness.

All of the aspects of culture and diversity that I have studied in this class was identified by each of my friends. I can recall an individual on the media segment referencing culture to a looking glass. She said that culture is everything that we say and do. 

The main points in regards to diversity and culture were covered. After listening to others speak about culture and diversity, I was happy to consider myself their friends. Although I was not influenced by the things that were mentioned, I was proud to know that we all think along the same lines. We all respect each other and the people of the world. We know that the world is such a good place because we all add to the uniqueness. 

4 comments:

  1. I certainly enjoy your sister-in-law's definitions of culture and diversity! What a wonderful perspective and so poignant. It appears that diversity is much "simpler" for people to define, yet I wonder if these definitions fully encompass the vastness of the concept. Most of the statements I collected were similar to these, but, again, I really like the way that she brings it all together - "everything (we) bring to society"!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kartina,
    It is true, culture is the way we do things that are passed down from generation to generation. It is also interesting how each generation can change things depending on where they live or the other groups they may come in contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I would like to say your blog page is AWESOME!!!!! I love all the color. Where reminds me of culture and diversity. A society of many colors. On a recent reflective journal I think a mention that my family do not have anything to pass down that goes from generation to generation. This was shocking to find out when it was asked by the professor. I never thought about it. I liked all the definiton you received from your friends and family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katrina,

    Your friends and family contributed great definitions of culture and diversity. I like what you sister in law said "diversity is everything each person brings to society." A celebration of uniqueness!

    ReplyDelete