Saturday, November 5, 2011

"Childbirth In My Life & Around the World"



On the afternoon of March 15, 2005, my mother, aunt, and grandmother went out to a nice restaurant to celebrate my grandmothers birthday. I was 9 months pregnant was ready to deliver at any minute. After having a nice lunch with the three ladies that meant the world to men, I went  back to my mothers have to ensure that all of my personal belongings  as well as my expecting baby things were ready to go. I had been given instructions from my doctor that if nothing happened after 5pm to check into the hospital to have an induction. That is what I did.

Before checking into the hospital, I went to visit my husbands grandmother who was on the hospital at the time. She and her husband both gave me a kiss and rubbed my bellying while saying to baby, "Grandma will see you soon". I will never forget that!

After leaving the room, I checked in and was rolled to the delivery room  by my mother where the nurse performed the induction. I laid there all night wishing that my husband could have been there to witness the birth of our first and only child. Around 8:00 pm, I began to have the worst pain that I ever had in my life. It only lasted for a minute or two. Around 8:45pm, the pain (contractions) were coming faster and lasting longer. My mother paged the nurse and she said that the doctor would come in to administer epidural if I wished. I could not wait until he arrived. As soon as he entered the door, I sat up in the bed and held my arm out. He said, "No honey; I have to give you this in the back." He explained that I had to be very still. At the time, I didn't care if he had said he had to give the epidural in the eye I was hurting so bad.

Instantly, the pain was over. I held my mothers' hand and told her thank you and that  love her. She was there for me the entire time. My husband had deployed the same month we found out that we were expecting a baby. I was sad but I knew that I had a support system that you help take care of me and the baby until he returned.

I fell asleep around 10:00 pm and woke up around 7:30 on March 16, 2006. The nurse came in to the room to check the cervix to see how far I had dilated. She said to my mother, "Are you ready to be a grandma ?" My mother was so excited and yelled yes! At approximately 8:10 am the nurse asked me to push. She ran out to get my doctor. On the second long push, I heard my daughters voice. I was in tears. It was both bitter and sweet for me. I was happy to be holding my baby but was sad that I had to do it all without the love of my life, my husband.

I chose this example because it is the most memorable event of my life. The entire pregnancy process can be both scary and exciting. I was do fortunate to have had the opportunity to have prenatal care and good doctors. The entire pregnancy process impacts child development. I was given all of the appropriate nutrition and health advice, the do's and don't plus more. Because I followed all of the safety precautions for my daughter and I , I was able to deliver a healthy baby girl who weighed 7pounds 9 ounces and 17 inches long.  I am not implying that all babies are born perfect if all of the safety precautions are followed. However, I am implying that it helps eliminate the misfortunes.

After research how births take place in Italy, I learned that both Italy and the United States have a lot in common. However, in the United States, I was not given the option to deliver in water. In Italy the parents will decide, in agreement with the gynaecologist, where they want the delivery to take place. The services offered by maternity hospitals vary and depend on the facilities available. These services include conventional (and sometimes water) delivery. Another difference is that maternity leave can be extended up to 11 months between the two parents, to be taken within the first eight years of the child's life. This indemnity also applies to parents adopting a child (for three months as from the date of adoption for children under six years) and also applies to the father. 
I have learned from this comparison that prenatal care is important all  over the world. In Italy, before the pregnancy, it is advisable for the father to have a general medical examination and run blood tests (not free of charge).

6 comments:

  1. Hi Katrina, I enjoyed reading your post! I had to laugh when you said that you did not care of the epidural had to go in your eye. lol I can only imagine how you felt at that time. I already know that when I have a baby, I will getting something like that as well. I do not like pain! LOL But I know it will be worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! But it is not really worth it. You went through the worst without the meds(as evidenced by "the needle in the eye").I'm still laughing at that one!They do it intentionally so the baby's progress is not interrupted. They leave you just enough strength for that last push. Read my blog on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrina, very thorough post and I commend you for staying strong and delivering a healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Job Katrina. Italy is another place that gives you different options like I researched in Austraila. I also live your post about your birthing experience. It was good that you had a solid support system to go through that wonderful experience. I know your husband was disappointed that he couldn't be there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your strength (and humor). I wish that our government would recognize the importance of allowing parents to spend that much quality time with their newborns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh! My last child was induced and I would not wish that on anyony. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete