Saturday, December 10, 2011

Testing for Intelligence



school "welcome!"
We all are aware and understand that children develop and learn at different rates. With that being said, we may ask ourselves why are children all being assessed and measured the same. Assessments, in my opinion should  be focused on the individual child. During the early years I feel as though assessments are not necessary. I feel as though we, meaning schools in the United States, should model schools in Japan and institute the yutorki kyoiku which means more relaxed education.

In Japan children attend school longer than we do in the United States. They have longer days, weeks, (including Saturday mornings) and years (only one month of summer vacation) . In 2002, the Japanese government eased educational and testing requirements by instituting the yutori kyoihu. They wanted to put more emphasis on learning rather than on memorizing facts to get high test scores. 

In my opinion, I feel as though  more information is attained and the learning was not in vain. 

I can speak and advocate for my daughter. She is terrified when the teacher tells her that she will be taking a big test. She freezes and does not do her best because she is focused and worried that she may not pass a big test. 9 out of 10 times, she doesn't.
In my opinion, I feel as though children should be given credit for the information and the improvements that they  make. I feel as though we put too much emphasis on the letter grade and it becomes a competition causing the children that really are challenge to continually fail.
I think we need to get on board with Japan. According to statistics, the children in Japan score far better on both Math and Science scores.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Just as learning is individual, so should be testing. Teach a math operation, check the child for understanding. Big standardized tests do create stress for many students who in turn, fail to do well. I prefer to write to show my understanding and grasp of material; testing does not show my true potential. I can empathize with the child who "freezes" on those tests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support of my blogs. You inspire me to look a little bit closer and pay attention to the individual child. I enjoy your input as a colleague.
    I look forward to continuing our learning together through our blogs.

    ReplyDelete