Saturday, November 17, 2012

~Communicating Differently~

On a day to day basis I find myself communicating differently according to the people who are in my surroundings. Diversity is all around us. We are all different and like to do different things as well as communicate differently.

When I am with my coworkers, I communicate in a professional manner. I use proper grammar, less facial expressions and I am very attentive to listening to the things that other may have to say. I could you could say that I am an active listener.

When I communicate with people that are older that I am, I always say yes ma'am or yes sir. I am very respectful and will never raise my voice. On the contrary, I am also very respectful to all but will raise my voice at a person that is around my age group or younger to get my point across.

When I am with my family and friends, I am more relaxed, use slang words when communicating and my facial expressions may tell it all. My husband would say that I am a passive listeners. He says that  I hear what I want to hear.

Based on the things that I have learned this week there are a few strategies that I can use to communicate more effectively.

1. I should be a better listener to everyone. Everyone wants to feel important and valued. If being an active listener works at work, I know that it will work with my family and friends. Being a people- oriented listener would be great when communicating with my family and friends.

2. The platinum rule is essential. When we treat others the way they want to be treated, everyone wins. Hopefully the same thing would be done with you.

3. Masking is importnat. Some times we have to let people know that regardless of what is being said or done, we can act accordingly. We should not show others the way we truly feel with our facial expressions. 


This week I have learned life long skills that will take me a long way. The things that has touched me the most is that we have to take the time to see things the way others may see them. We can  not be to quick to judges others until we have had the opportunity to see thing the way it may be according to others.  

5 comments:

  1. Hi Katrina,

    I like your points. I have a tricky question to ponder:

    I do like to listen and have conversations, yet at the same time i fatigue quite quickly when handling a large amount of auditory input. As a result, I really like when people make clear and to the point statements about important things. A friend of mine tells incredibly long-winded stories, and by the time he is done speaking, I'm ready to fall asleep becuase my brain is so exhausted trying to process everything he said. While it is not a lack of interest, it may appear that way to others.

    When we consider the platinum rule, is it fair to say that gien my difficulty processing auditory input, people should be concise and to the point when verbally communicating with me? How unfair is it of a request from people in that scenario?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karina,
      I hear what you are saying, but isn't hiding one's true feelings a bit deceptive if taken to the extreme? But then you have qualified it and I take it to mean that, for example, in a work situation when a parent is chewing you out for something you didn't do, it is better to remain attentive and reserved than to react inappropriately and damage the relationship.
      Thanks!

      Amy,
      I understand you plight to a great degree - Unless I am fully "there" in the conversation my mind tends to wonder and I know my face shows it. It isn't so much that I get overwhelmed, though, as I just have so much else that is conflicting for my brain waves!

      Delete
  2. Hi Katrina,
    I agree with you that we have to be careful of our facial expressions because the person will get caught up on that and think that they know what we are thinking based on our facial expressions. We must try to listen with an open mind even when we are having a really hard time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe it's important to act accordingly to your surroundings especially because of diversity. Everyone acts differently around different people whether it is professional or causal. I enjoyed your 3 key points to be an effective communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too use slang around friends and family. And a more professional language with communicating with families and colleagues. However, I need a little more help with the facial expression especially when there is something I dislike when a colleague suggest or say.

    ReplyDelete