Saturday, November 10, 2012

Silent versus Sound Communication

The Nanny



The Nanny is a television episode that has been around for quite a while. However, I decided to pay it a little attention to completed this assignment. There were three main characters on the show, the nanny who is  a flirty lady (Fran), the butler and Mr. Sheffeld. 

When I watched the show on mute, Fran appeared to be a mean lady who used lots of facial expressions. She frowned a lot and used her hands to demonstrate things. She looked a little silly and moved around a lot.The butler appeared to be frustrated. He continued to look confused each time Fran said something or moved around. 

Mr. Sheffeld appeared to be calm and smiled a lot.After watching the show with the volume, I started to become interested. Fran turned out to be really cool and funny. even though she made facial expressions, most of the time the expressions were made to demonstrate the way she felt. She turned out to be nicer when the volume was up. She still is silly but she is more bubbly. She loves to use her hands when she communicates. 

The butler was more sarcastic than I imagined. He said little things that would conclude that Fran was a tad bit frustrating. Every time she talked, he would say something that attacked her character in a funny way.

I could tell that Fran was a little flirty when Mr. Sheffeld came around. Both with the volume and on mute, she continued to blush and used her hands to touch Mr. Sheffeld.
If I had been watching a show that I am more aware of. I would have known the personalities of the characters and even on mute, I would know whether or not the characters were playful or serious. 

If you have never watched "The House of Pain", try this exercise watching that show. I would love to hear the things that you all would have to say about Curtis both before and after.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katrina,
    I used to watch that show and it is funny. I agree that some of the non-verbal communication was obvious like that of Fran's feelings for Mr. Sheffield but with out the sound you would not have understood the relationship between Fran and the butler as being friendly banter. I think you are right about if you were more familiar with the characters you would be able to better decipher what they may be feeling by their facial expressions and body language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina,

    I have seen the show "The Nanny' a few times, and it is a little funny. However, the main character, Fran, can be a bit annoying; maybe it is her voice. It is interesting how watching the show muted you came with up exact opposite character traits for Fran and the butler. Nonverbal cues really say a lot about a person's character.

    ReplyDelete