Monday, October 29, 2012

~A Competent Communicator~



African American Woman Talking On the Telephone clipart
 
                                                                          

When I think of a person who communicates competently, I think of my mother.

*She listens to every word that people have to say. When a person feels like they are capable of nothing, she makes them feel like a million dollars.

*She look people in the eyes and gives them the vibe that she is paying attention to everything that they are saying. If things are sad, she uses nonverbal cues to demonstrate her empathy.

*She remains calm in stressful situations and avoids conflict.

I would like to take on all of my mothers communication skills. She always make time for people and listens to them until they walk away. Some time people only need someone to listen too. I am guilty of listening to people while continuing to perform task or not even look the person in the eyes. I really need to do better. A good communicator involves more than using words. A good communicator uses nonverbal cues and is patient when listening to others.


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful role model! I am sitting her struggling trying to think of someone I know who is a competent communicator and all I can think of are those who are better than me but still lack in some vital area.
    You are lucky to have your mom to talk with and to and to have someone who gives so much of herself to others. She's probably that kind of a friend who will tell you how it is without making you feel like dirt, too, isn't she?! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina,
    Your Mom sounds like someone that just lets you talk while giving you her full attention and helps you sort through your feelings and maybe admit that you already knew what the problem was. She sounds like she listens without judging. What a great role model she is. I too suffer from trying to do to many things and so I do not give the person talking to me my full attention. I too need work on this and remember to listen without trying to solve the persons problem but let them talk it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katrina,

    Your mother sounds like a wonderful woman! Our parents are normally our first role models. I am sure you will develop her great communication skills as well. Listening during communication is just as important as being an effective speaker. You are right, some people just want to be heard. Listening and effective nonverbal communication can make a person feel as though they were being heard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I can see how you chose your mother. Mothers play a big part in their child's life. When mom say, it's going be okay and not to worry about it, you know its all good. Most mothers take the time to get an understanding of what's going on before they respond. I would consider my mother to be a competent communicator as well.

    ReplyDelete