Saturday, October 13, 2012

~The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression~

Throughout this class, I often spoke about things that have happened to me. I am going to shift it around a little and discuss something that happened to someone that I know in regards to bias.

A young gentlemen who display feminine characters worked as a manager in a center. He is very nice, outgoing, and is eager to learn.  Other managers were treating him inappropriately and displayed micro-aggressions against him. That made it hard for him to be successful in the work place. The staff members that he is responsible for started to add in on the mumbling of how he is different. This caused serious damage to him emotionally. Later, I was informed that he tried to take his life.

After three weeks of medical treatment, he was reassigned to a different location.  He was judged incorrectly based on his characteristics and his self identity.

Equity was diminished because he was not given the same opportunities as others. He was looked down on because to some, he is different. He wears his clothes in a professional manner, his nails are clean and appealing to the eyes and he speaks with a soft voice. Is this a reason to believe that he is incapable of fulfilling the mission?

I was very empathetic for him. I could only imagine how he could have felt. This made me outraged that we as humans can be so cruel to one another not realizing that we all have differences.  I knew that something had to be done to recondition the situation.

Thankfully I was the one that he was reassigned to. I did verbalize that the individual that caused the problem should be spoken to. She needs to understand that we are should all be treated equally regardless of our differences.  If it happened once then chances it will happen again to someone else. People need to know that their actions and comments can be very abusive and hurt others. It can cause lifelong affects as well as deaths.




0 comments:

Post a Comment