Saturday, October 20, 2012

~Welcoming Families Around the World~


    • The name of “my” family’s country of origin is Africa
I work at a child development center and the child's fist day is today. 

Five ways that l have  prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family is to:

1) Have books for the child to read that demonstrates their culture.
2) Have an employee there to assist me that is fluent in their language.
3) Have to read books and research websites that will provide me with more information about their family's culture.
4)Ask members of the same culture about specific things that they like and are interested in.
5) Have things provided that makes them feel welcoming and reminds them of their home land.

I hope by doing the above, both the child and his/her family will feel comfortable knowing that I value them and their culture. I want them to know that even though they are in an unfamiliar place, they can make it their home. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Katrina - I just have a couple of questions.
    How would you go about finding families from the same region/culture? What kinds of things would you provide and how would you select them?
    Knowing my luck, I would not be able to find these things and would end up adding something that even they have never seen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura you have great questions that I am so eager to answer.
    How would I go about fining families from the same region/ We live in a world that is culturally diverse in many ways. I currently work on a military instillation. Our employees come from all over the world. This can simply be done by asking an employee of the same origin to assist.

    The things that I will have for the family will be closely related to the home land. I could have an array of music playing (people love music), foods, artwork and much more. that is the purpose of having someone communicate with me the things that familiar to their homeland.

    I understand where you are coming from. Before I joined the military family, I was once blinded to the many cultures and lifestyles that are represented right here in the United states and even in my community. You have to use the resources that you have and go from there.

    I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Researching all you can about the culture is a great way to start. Knowing the language that is spoken and if any English is known would be helpful. Meeting and talking to the parents is always a great start and having outside resources for not only you but the parents as well. Great post!! I do think if you could find parents from same culutre is great. It gives them support and not feel so alone.

    ReplyDelete